Resources to help understand your 3D Printing experience, geared for school, university, and more.
Here are reports and academic articles that get into the consumer and societal issues around 3D printing. The first set links to two white papers we wrote on 3D printing that you can download. Second, are a few articles freely available that we think are pretty great. Third, are academic pieces written by us using more academic language. Fourth, are a set of academic articles we found interesting, written by scholars who were not involved with our project, but you might find them interesting too.
3DPrintingInfo.org White Papers
- 3D Printing Rights & Responsibilities: Consumer perceptions & realities – Emerging issues for online access, communication & sharing of 3D printer files.
3D Printing: Civic Practices and Regulatory Challenges. (MNSI – April 2016)
Academic Papers from the 3D Printing Info team
- Birtchnell, T., Urry, J., Cook, C., & Curry, A. (2013). Freight miles: the impact of 3D printing on transport and society ESRC Project ES/J007455/1: Centre for Mobilities Research
- Fordyce, R., L. Heemsbergen, T. Apperley, T. Birtchnell, M. Arnold, & B. Nansen (2016) ‘Things, Tags, Topics’ Communication Research and Practice 2(2).
- Fordyce, R., L. Heemsbergen, P. Mignone, & B. Nansen (2015) ‘3D printing and university makerspaces: Surveying countercultural communities in institutional settings’ Digital Culture and Education 7(2).
- Fordyce, R. (2014) ‘Manufacturing Imaginaries: Neo-nazis, Men’s Rights Activists, and 3D printing’ Journal of Peer Production 6 (1).
- 3D Printers mean more plastic in landfills, Luke Heemsbergen, New York Times, August 11 2014
Other Academic Articles
- Daly, A. (2016) Socio-Legal Aspects of the 3D Printing Revolution. Pivot PalgraveMacmillan. [https://www.palgrave.com/gp/
- Good, T. (2013) Three Makerspace models that work. American Libraries 44(1), 45-47.
- Illich, I. (1971) Deschooling Society. New York: Harper & Row.
- Kostakis, V., Niaros, V. and Giotitsas, C. (2014) Production and governance in hackerspaces: A manifestation of Commons-based peer production in the physical realm? International Journal of Cultural Studies. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1177/1367877913519310.
- Maxigas (2012) “Hacklabs and hackerspaces – tracing two genealogies” Journal of Peer Production 2.
- Moilanen, J. and Vadén, T. (2013) 3D printing community and emerging practices of peer production. First Monday18(8).
- Moilanen, J. and Vadén, T. (2013) “Results from 3D printing survey 2013.” Peerproduction.Net
- Ratto, M. (2011) Critical Making: Conceptual and Material Studies in Technology and Social Life. The Information Society 27(4), 252-260.
- Ratto, M., & Ree, R. (2012). Materializing information: 3D printing and social change. First Monday, 17(7).
- Söderberg, Johan (2014) “Reproducing Wealth Without Money, One 3D printer at a Time” Journal of Peer Production 4 [http://peerproduction.net/
issues/issue-4-value-and- currency/peer-reviewed- articles/reproducing-wealth- without-money/].
- Tocchetti, Sara (2012) “DIYbiologists as ‘makers’ of Personal Biologies: How MAKE Magazine and Maker Faires Contribute in Constituting Biology as a Personal Technology” Journal of Peer Production 2 [http://peerproduction.net/
issues/issue-2/peer-reviewed- papers/diybiologists-as- makers/]
If you want to find tech websites with up to date news from the 3D printing industry or websites to help you purchase a 3D printer, you’ll find the right resource for your needs below. We cover 3D printing in the popular media, including tech sites and social media, as well as other sources about the social economic, and political aspects of 3D printing through longer form journalism. Although we don’t update these links frequently, the tags we’ve coded into them will bring you new stories as they’re written.
3D Printing in the Media
Tech News Websites
Below, we’ve got direct links to the dedicated feeds on 3D printing for some of the biggest tech sites out there. Interested in news on new developments, new patents, or fancy new printing materials? Look no further!
- Wired – 3D Printing
- Boing Boing – 3D Printing
- Popsci – 3D Printing
- Gizmodo – 3D Printing
3D Printing Information Sites
There are heaps of sites out there that focus on 3D printing technology on a daily basis. These are some of our favourites.
- Inside 3D Printing
- Inside 3DP
- 3D Print.Com
- 3D Printing Today
- 3D Printing Industry
Also, you might be interested in these 3D printing meetups.
- 3D Hubs
A lot of the really cutting edge news and ideas about 3D printing are discussed on social media, mainly on Twitter. You don’t need an account to view the links, but getting one can help you keep track of everything.
- 3D Printing Industry (@3dprintindustry)
- 3D Printing News (@my3dprinting)
- Makerbot (@makerbot)
- Printing Everyday (@jesshedstrom)
- Sculpteo (@sculpteo)
- Stratasys (@3d_printers)
- Thingiverse (@thingiverse)
Other 3D Printing information
3D Printer Purchasing Guides
There are a lot of guides out there which can help you pick the right 3D printer for your needs. Below are some of the ones that we’ve found useful in the past, but we recommend looking for other advice as well.
- 3D Hubs
- Tom’s Guide
Online magazines and longer form
The Conversation – easy to understand articles, written by University academics
The Economist – has some great articles and special sections on 3D printing
Inside 3D Printing – news and updates from the world of 3D printing
Wikipedia – 3D Printing -Seriously! Get lost in a ‘Wikipedia hole‘ that starts with their 3D printing page….